The City of Sugar Land will host a “Welcome Home Celebration” for Simone Manuel and Steven López on Aug. 25, from 5:30-7:30 p.m., at Sugar Land Town Square.
The two Olympians recently competed in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Manuel won gold medals in the 100 meter freestyle and the 4×100 meter medley and silver in the 50 meter freestyle and the 4×100 meter freestyle relay.
López is a two-time gold medal winner and competed in his fifth Olympics in Rio. He is also the winner of five world championships and holds the distinction of the most decorated athlete in taekwondo history.
The community-wide celebration will showcase the City’s pride and appreciation of the hard work and dedication displayed while competing on a world-wide stage. The City is working with Fort Bend ISD, First Colony Swim Team coaches and swimmers, the López family and other community groups and individuals to welcome back the Olympians.
The event will include a short ceremony, photos, community booths and activities along with meet and greet areas for both athletes with autograph signings available.
10 Things You Need To Know About Simone Manuel
1. Simone made history this year as the first Black woman to win Olympic gold in an individual swimming event.1 of 10
2. The gold medal-winner often wanted to quit swimming because she “always had an issue with not seeing people that looked like me in the sport.”Source:Instagram 2 of 10
3. With returning Olympian and fellow Stanford teammate Lia Neal, Rio was the first time two Black women qualified for the U.S. Olympic swim team.Source:Instagram 3 of 10
4. She started swimming at four-years-old.Source:Instagram 4 of 10
5. Simone’s favorite pastime is cooking.Source:Instagram 5 of 10
6. The 20-year-old will be a sophomore this fall at Stanford University and is looking to major in communications.Source:Instagram 6 of 10
7. As a nod to her effortless abilities once she hits water, her friends named her “Swimone.”Source:Instagram 7 of 10
8. Simone took swimming seriously after watching Michael Phelps win his eighth gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.Source:Instagram 8 of 10
9. Simone has two older brothers, who she calls her best friends. Both were into swimming before her.Source:Instagram 9 of 10
10. Simone first tried out for the Olympic team in 2012, but didn’t make the cut until 2016. Timing is key!Source:Instagram 10 of 10
Sugar Land To Host ‘Welcome Home Celebration’ For Olympians was originally published on theboxhouston.com