OWN’s newest hour long scripted drama Greenleaf follows the lives of the incredibly wealthy and powerful Greenleaf family and their Memphis megachurch, Calvary Fellowship World Ministries.
In her first reoccurring role in two decades Oprah Winfrey plays the role of Mavis McCready, a blues club owner and aunt to Grace Greenleaf (Merle Dandridge) and sister to Lady Mae Greenleaf (Lynn Whitfield). The television mogul talks to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about the success of the show and reveals who she’s casting next season in the role of “bad deacon”.
On the success of the show:
“Last week was the biggest week we ever had on OWN…a lot of people watched in real-time. It’s so exciting when you do the work and everybody talks about it.”
On the flack from the black church:
“I hear some churches are upset but no one said anything to me directly. I am of the church, born of the church and I’d do nothing to disturb the church. Everyone can’t be honorable. You can’t make a drama with everyone being good.”
Greenleaf airs Wednesday nights at 10p ET/PT.
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Making History: Top 10 Richest Black Actors
1. Tyler Perry - estimated worth $450M1 of 10
2. Bill Cosby - estimated worth $380M2 of 10
3. Will Smith - estimated worth $240M3 of 10
4. Samuel L. Jackson - estimated worth $170M4 of 10
5. Morgan Freeman - estimated worth $150M5 of 10
6. Denzel Washington - estimated worth $140M6 of 10
7. Ice Cube - estimated worth $140M7 of 10
8. Martin Lawrence - estimated worth $110M8 of 10
9. LL Cool J - estimated worth $100M9 of 10
10. Eddie Murphy - estimated worth $85M10 of 10
(Photo Source: OWN)