OWN’s newest hour long scripted drama Greenleaf follows the lives of the incredibly wealthy and powerful Greenleaf family and their Memphis megachurch, Calvary Fellowship World Ministries.
In her first reoccurring role in two decades Oprah Winfrey plays the role of Mavis McCready, a blues club owner and aunt to Grace Greenleaf (Merle Dandridge) and sister to Lady Mae Greenleaf (Lynn Whitfield). The television mogul talks to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about the success of the show and reveals who she’s casting next season in the role of “bad deacon”.
On the success of the show:
“Last week was the biggest week we ever had on OWN…a lot of people watched in real-time. It’s so exciting when you do the work and everybody talks about it.”
On the flack from the black church:
“I hear some churches are upset but no one said anything to me directly. I am of the church, born of the church and I’d do nothing to disturb the church. Everyone can’t be honorable. You can’t make a drama with everyone being good.”
Greenleaf airs Wednesday nights at 10p ET/PT.
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Making History: Top 10 Richest Black Actors
1. Bill Cosby - estimated worth $380M1 of 9
2. Will Smith - estimated worth $240M2 of 9
3. Samuel L. Jackson - estimated worth $170M3 of 9
4. Morgan Freeman - estimated worth $150M4 of 9
5. Denzel Washington - estimated worth $140M5 of 9
6. Ice Cube - estimated worth $140M6 of 9
7. Martin Lawrence - estimated worth $110M7 of 9
8. LL Cool J - estimated worth $100M8 of 9
9. Eddie Murphy - estimated worth $85M9 of 9
(Photo Source: OWN)