(HOUSTON) — NEWS 92 FM is putting together its own guide to the Bayou City, based on our listeners’ suggestions.
When complete, ‘Hidden Houston’ will include 92 unique things to do and see in and around Houston.
NEWS 92 FM’s Kevin Charles reports:[audio https://ronenews92fm.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hidden-houston-vw-1-kcharles.mp3]
Our current list is up to 84 places to go and things to see, but we know there are plenty of others. We are looking for things that are not necessarily on the major tourist brochures.
Our first featured spot on ‘Hidden Houston’ is the Last Concert Cafe.
It is a place you really have to know about in order to even find, because there is no sign indicating that you have arrived at the combination Mexican restaurant and concert venue.
All you’ll find at 1403 Nance is an ordinary looking red and white house with a stucco building attached.
Some tell us the original business, which started in 1949, may not have been exclusively serving food if you get my drift. To paraphrase a famous musical about the Chicken Ranch in La Grange, there was ‘nothin’ dirty going on.’
For a while, there was no doorknob on the outside of the red door that served as the entryway. Patrons had to know to knock 2 times on the door to be allowed inside.
NEWS 92 FM listener Al Henson tells us he’s enjoyed some great musical guests from time to time at the Last Concert Cafe and on occasion has run into a celebrity or two including members of that “Little Ol‘ Band from Texas” ZZ Top.
Think you have something to add to our list? Call our NEWS 92 FM Talk Back Line at (832) 848-0092 and let us know about it.
‘Hidden Houston’ List
(Thanks to dozens of Facebook followers who let us know their favorite spots!)
- Last Concert Café
- Houston Area Live Steamers in Hockley
- Texans Training Camp
- Hermann Park train
- Market Square Park
- Buffalo Bayou by boat, bike or kayak
- Space Center Houston
- The Orange Show
- The Beer Can House
- Mt. Rush Hour, The Beatles Statues – Artwork by David Addickes
- Lakewood Church, the largest church in America;
- The Printing Museum
- Alley Theatre
- La Carafe, the oldest bar in Houston.
- Warren’s on Market Square, the place to go for a real martini.
- Ghost tours downtown & the Heights
- Gerald D. Hines Water Wall Park
- Japanese Gardens of Hermann Park (you’ll swear your’e in Japan)
- San Jacinto Monument
- Battleship Texas
- Sea wolf Park
- Museum of Fine Arts
- The Original Greek Fest in Montrose. OPA!
- Minute Maid Park – Astros game.
- Pappa’s restaurants
- Goode Co. Seafood or BBQ
- The Rodeo
- Dinner at the Original Ninfa’s
- Kemah Boardwalk
- St. Arnold Brewing
- Tour the Hogg family’s house
- The Houston Zoo
- Texas prison museum and old sparky in Huntsville
- Cemetery tours Glenwood Cemetery where Howard Hughes is buried.
- The Galleria
- Tour Rice’s campus
- The Houston Ballet
- Shipley Donuts north Main @ 45 about 4am .. regular glazed fresh from the fryer
- The Wortham theater, HGO-Houston Grand Opera performance,
- Lancaster Hotel at Christmas time
- Buffalo Soldier Museum
- Herman Park Golf course
- Mexican food at the Don-key (be sure to order the “QUESO A LA PARILLA”, I think they still make it at the table?),
- Vietnamese food at Kim-Son,
- Stomping Divots at the Houston Polo Club!
- Catch a show at the Mucky Duck
- Go to Club Numbers
- Traders Village
- The Tunnels in downtown
- The Undertaker Challenge at the CajunStop
- Gardens of Bayou Bend
- Strand in Galveston
- The Astrodome
- Historic Celestial Suites on the top floor of the Crowne Plaza across from the astrodome.. Formerly the Astroworld hotel.
- Art Car parade
- Boat Tour of the ship channel
- Tour University of Houston and the new U of H stadium
- Discovery Green
- Sacred Heart Cathedral
- River Oaks
- Rainbow Lodge
- Hong Kong Market
- Museum of Natural Science
- George Ranch Historical Park
- Ruggles Green
- the Police Memorial
- Goode Co. Taquaria. Beef fajitas!
- a metro rail ride from the Belfort stop… downtown and back
- Skate around downtown with the Urban Animals.
- Ice Skating in Discovery Green during the holidays.
- Celebrate St. Paddy’s Day at Griff’s or The Mucky Duck.
- Watch The Battle of the Bands during halftime of a TSU v PVAMU football game.
- Watch a performance of The MOB during halftime of a Rice football game, especially if the opponent is either Texas or a&m.
- The Funeral museum
- Spindletop (rotating restaurant in Hyatt Downtown)
- Holocaust Museum
- Bike through town with Critical Mass
- Do the Rice U Undies Run (AKA Hot Undies Run)
- White Linen Night in the Heights
- Rocket Park – NASA
Hidden Houston: Last Concert Cafe is a Diamond in the Rough was originally published on news92fm.com
Pastor Paula White Breaks Silence On Divorce, Stroke And Her Alleged Affair
What Does It Mean To Be "Equally Yoked?”
Bishop Carlton Pearson Says "God Is Not A Christian..."
Bebe Winan's ex wife Debra speaks..You decide for yourself.
Why do Members of a Baptist Church put their finger up when walking in church? Where did this orginate?
Serena Williams Shares A Rough Day on Social Media, Fans Respond With Love And Support
Tia Mowry Shares Sweet Thanksgiving Photos With Children And Ex Cory Hardrict
Jay-Z alters controversial "Jesus Can't Save You" line on "Empire State of Mind" feat. Alicia Keys