A Black psychology student aced her final college exam while under some crazy extreme conditions: she was getting ready to have a baby.
Nayzia Thomas, a 19-year-old psychology major at Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, Kansas, put new meaning in the word “labor” recently. When her water broke on December 11, she had a long wait before her baby son arrived into the world. To kill time, she pulled out her laptop and started typing away on her research paper during the labor that lasted nearly 15 hours, ABC News reported.
“My mom took this pic & it’s the perfect explanation of my life,” she captioned a hospital room photo of herself completing her final test that was posted to Twitter. “yes i’m about to have a baby, but final [season] ain’t over yet.” The photo has more than 134,000 likes and 28,000 retweets.
Thomas, a Kansas City, Missouri native, had stayed in school until she reached 39 weeks in her pregnancy, Yahoo Lifestyle reported, but went into premature labor.
“It wasn’t due until the end of the week, finals week is Dec. 11 to [Dec. 15], but my goal was to try to have everything done before,” Thomas told Yahoo. “[I thought] ‘before all this gets crazy let me hurry up and finish this final.’”
After Thomas finished her test, there was still more waiting to do. “After my exam was finished we kind of just walked around the hospital, did pain management, and tried to just kind of relax,” she said. “That’s really all you can do when you’re waiting for a baby to be born.”
But then the wait was over. Thomas welcomed a beautiful baby boy, Anthony, who was born at 1:30 p.m. on December 12. She later received more good news that she aced her paper and completed the semester with a 3.5 GPA. She thanked her mom, Aisha Kelley, who has Lupus and is a single mother, for reaching success at school, especially during the period of getting ready to become a mom. School was “difficult because pregnancy is not just physical. It’s mental. It’s emotional,” she said.
“It takes more than just getting up and going to class to be successful in college,” Thomas added. “It takes a lot of mental preparation and there are days when … you get defeated but the main thing is that you have to keep the strength.”
Doug Jones Will Reportedly Appoint An All-White Senior Staff
Donald Trump Jr. Posts Racist Obama Cake Instagram Photo
In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2017
1. Erica Garner, 27Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. LeRoy Frasier, 80Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. Don Hogan Charles, 79Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Combat Jack, 48Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mamie Johnson, 82Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Della Reese, 86Source:Splash News 6 of 24
7. Simeon Booker, 99Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. David Cassidy, 67Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Fats Domino, 89Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. Robert Guillaume, 89Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Tom Petty, 66Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Bernie Casey, 78Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Jim Vance, 75Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Fresh Kid Ice, 53Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Charlie Murphy, 57Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Chuck Berry, 90Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. James Cotton, 81Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Joni Sledge, 60Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Clyde Stubblefield, 73Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Al Jarreau, 76Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Mary Tyler Moore, 80Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Lee "Q" O'Denat, 43Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. Bishop Eddie Long, 63Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Roy Innis, 82Source:Getty 24 of 24
Wow! Black Psych Student Aces Exam While In Labor For Nearly 15 Hours was originally published on newsone.com