Gospel music is changing whether you can accept it or not. In order for it to thrive it must become relevant again, it must evolve. Some artists are doing a great job with the evolution, and Kierra Sheard is one of them. She is using her music to talk to anew generation about contemporary struggles.
In her new song ‘Flaws,’ Kierra takes on the scriptural and the contemporary issue of self worth and love of self.
First take a look at the chorus:
My flaws/You love, you love my flaws
Think they make me beautiful/You don’t see them as flaws at all
That’s why /That’s why, that’s why I love you
Cause you are, you are the one who/The one who loves my flaws
The chorus definitely touches upon the fact that we are becoming an ever increasing visually focused society. We have been so for awhile, but now with things life Facebook and Instagram, all our imperfections are on display for criticism. It’s a criticism that we sometimes internalize on deeper levels. We are needing the cyber world’s validation of life via likes and shares. Teens strive to be ‘Facebook Famous’. Kids as young as 5 think their ideal weight is thinner than their current size, according to a report that was released earlier this year.
According to scripture, we have started to forget that we are made in God’s image.
Genesis 1:27 says:
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
This gives us validation in life because we are created as our divine Lord has created us. We are perfect as as he sees us. Kierra’s song is the triumph of God’s law and love. His love of us in the vessel that he has created should take away any scorn we hold for it. We are vessels of the holy spirit that expresses the love of God in creaton. For this reason and this reason alone, we should embrace ourselves.
Take a listen to Kierra’s song and reflect on its deeper meaning.
Make sure to read:
- Kierra Sheard Set to Launch “Eleven 60″ Fashion Line For Full-Figured Women
- Kierra Sheard Tells How Proverbs 31 Inspired Her To Become an Entrepreneur [VIDEO]
Inspiring Quotes by Women Who Inspire
1. AaliyahSource: 1 of 22
2. Lena HorneSource: 2 of 22
3. Kelly RowlandSource: 3 of 22
4. Tina TurnerSource: 4 of 22
5. Sanaa LathanSource: 5 of 22
6. Pearl BaileySource: 6 of 22
7. Whoopi GoldbergSource: 7 of 22
8. Josephine BakerSource: 8 of 22
9. Halle BerrySource: 9 of 22
10. Katherine DunhamSource: 10 of 22
11. Tyra BanksSource: 11 of 22
12. Ella FitzgeraldSource: 12 of 22
13. Oprah WinfreySource: 13 of 22
14. Zora Neale HurstonSource: 14 of 22
15. Viola DavisSource: 15 of 22
16. Iyanla VanzantSource: 16 of 22
17. Alice WalkerSource: 17 of 22
18. Patti LaBelleSource: 18 of 22
19. Nikki GiovanniSource: 19 of 22
20. Phylicia RashadSource: 20 of 22
21. Ella BakerSource: 21 of 22
22. Maya AngelouSource: 22 of 22
How Kierra Sheard’s ‘Flaws’ Speaks To New Generation Of Gospel Fans [NEW MUSIC] was originally published on elev8.com