I’m sure we all can agree that lately it’s been “hot hot hot!” and we know your electric bills may have skyrocketed because of this ongoing increase in temperatures. So we decided to put together some tips we’ve found online to help you save energy and money while staying cool at the same time!
Check out our top 10 ways to keep cool and lower your electricity bill.
1. Replace your incandescent light bulbs with more energy efficient fluorescent bulbs. The reduce energy consumption by 75%. (E-HOW.com)
2. Unplug all appliances, cell phone and computer charges if you are not using them as they tend to use power. (About.com)
3. Keep your blinds, drapes or shades closed during the day to keep the house cool. (ThinkQuest.com)
4. Use ceiling fans or windows fans instead of air conditioning. Ceiling and window fans use much less electricity. Remember to turn off when you’re not in the room. (ThinkQuest.com)
5. For full loads, use the dishwashing machine instead of hand washing dishes and turn off the heat dry settings to air dry. (About.com)
6. Turn the digital thermostat on 78 degrees and run it on automatic, with the ceiling fan on. When you are not home, raise it up between 80-82 degrees. (FPL.com)
7. If you can, shade your air conditioning unit. If your unit is in the bright sun, it will use up to 5% more energy than if it was in the shade! (ThinkQuest.com)
8. Clean the lint filter in your dryer before every load to dry your clothes faster. (FPL.com)
9. Turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth and take shorter showers. This will not only save water, but it will also save the electricity that it takes to pump and heat the water. (ThinkQuest.com)
10. Clean or replace the A/C filter monthly to help your unit run more efficiently and trim cooling costs. (FPL.com)