Here are just a few quick tips for parents to know about taking the best care of their children.
* No matter how old your children are, know where they are, whom they are with and what they are doing. This helps prevent problems and shows your kids that you care about them.
* Never use spanking or other forms of physical punishment with your child. An occasional swat on the rear end is okay as an attention-getter, but it should never be the punishment.
* You can criticize a child’s behavior, but never criticize the child.
* Never verbally put down your child. There’s a difference between correcting your child and attacking your child.
* Be a “5-to-1” parent. Every time you give your child a consequence for misbehavior, provide five opportunities for him or her to earn your praise or a reward.