Daniel Fast Blogger Susan Gregory offers up another yummy recipe for dinner during the Daniel Fast. Check out the recipe below for a Red Bean Soup:
Beans are so rich in vitamins and protein. Plus they are excellent for our digestive systems! Serve this soup with a fresh vegetable plate and bean dip or a nice green salad.
1 tablespoon olive oil 2
11⁄2 cups chopped yellow onions 1
1⁄4 cup chopped green bell 3
quarts vegetable stock teaspoon salt tablespoons chopped parsley cup diced carrots
cups cooked long-grain brown rice, warm
tablespoons chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 bay leaves
1 1 1⁄2 cups dried red kidney beans, 6
1 tablespoon Special Seasoning, (recipe follows on next page)
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and bay leaves, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the Special Seasoning and stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the salt and parsley, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Remove 1 cup of beans from the pot and reserve.
5. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the red beans. Add the reserved beans, and stir well.
6. To serve, ladle a generous cup of the soup into each of 6 bowls. 7. Top each serving with 1/4 cup of the rice and 1 tablespoon of green onions.
Yield: six servings
These recipes are all from the Daniel Fast Cookbooks available at Daniel-Fast.com
More Daniel Fast Recipes and Tips: